Valparaiso University has been the home to sororities since 1917. Alpha Phi Delta Sorority was established in October 1917 as a local sorority only at Valparaiso University. Local sororities were hosted at the University until 1998 when each of the local chapters chose to affiliate with an inter/national sorority that was a member of the National Panhellenic Conference. Since the conversation from local to national organizations, two additional multicultural sororities have been established at the University. The following is the historical timeline of the establishment of sororities at Valparaiso University.
Delta Chi Epsilon Sorority
October 14, 1944
“To foster the welfare of Valparaiso University to promote a Christian spirit among young people, to live according to the high ideals of friendship, and to increase in knowledge and in service to society”
Flower: Yellow rose
Colors: Yellow and grey
Delta Chi Epsilon transitions to Phi Omega in 1965. Phi Omega then transitions back to Delta Chi Epsilon in 1992 and then transitions to Alpha Delta Pi in 1998.
Delta Phi Kappa Sorority
March 22, 1986
“Love in unity, honor in individuality”
Flower: Pink Carnation
Color: Navy blue and pink
Delta Phi Kappa was born out of Kappa Tau Zeta. Delta Phi Kappa transitioned to Alpha Sigma Tau in 1998, but never became a chartered chapter.